We each play an important role in creating and maintaining a safe and healthy community. Within schools staff work diligently to ensure students, staff and visitors are safe. Unfortunately, we’ve received reports of incidents involving students as they travel to and from school. The Office of Safety and Security would like to provide some reminders and safety tips for families.
Safety reminders for students as they travel to and from school:
- Students should use the buddy system and walk in groups of two or more.
- Do not walk alone in the dark—ride to and from school with a trusted friend or relative.
- Remain on school grounds during school hours.
- Immediately tell responsible adults about any suspicious activities or people encountered to or from school.
- Never accept candy or gifts from a stranger.
- Never go anywhere with a stranger, even if it sounds like fun.
- Be aware of your surrounding and cross streets at corners or marked crosswalks.
- Make sure younger kids know their names, address, phone number including area code, and who to call in case of an emergency. Review how to use 911.
Resources for walking maps and safety tips
Tacoma Public Schools has partnered with the City of Tacoma to provide walking maps for all elementary schools. These maps help to identify well-lit routes with sidewalks and crosswalks.
See Something. Say Something.
Tacoma Public Schools launched a joint campaign with law enforcement a few years ago called, “See Something, Say Something.” We encourage everyone in our community who sees or hears anything that could be a safety concern at any of our schools to immediately notify our school staff or call 911.
We are all safety ambassadors, and we each play an important role in keeping our schools and communities safe.
Translate Our Website
Translate this page by clicking the flag button in the bottom right corner and selecting your preferred language.
Traduzca esta página haciendo clic en el botón de la bandera en la esquina inferior derecha y seleccionando su idioma preferido.
Dịch trang này bằng cách nhấp vào nút gắn cờ ở góc dưới cùng bên phải và chọn ngôn ngữ ưa thích của bạn.
오른쪽 하단에 있는 플래그 버튼을 클릭하고 원하는 언어를 선택하여 이 페이지를 번역합니다.
Перекладіть цю сторінку, натиснувши кнопку прапора в нижньому правому куті та вибравши потрібну мову.
Переведите эту страницу, нажав на кнопку с флагом в правом нижнем углу и выбрав желаемый язык.